عنوان مقاله [English]
The concept of sustainable development has gradually entered the realms of politics and economy. This concept has achieved the interest of the international community and has gained widespread acceptance in the last two decades of the twentieth Century. The development of this concept in the context of various regional and international treaties, had announced its entrance into the field of international law. The International Law Association, in 2002, adopted the Delhi Declaration, in which seven international law principles of sustainable development were defined. The International Court of Justice, 5 years after the adoption of the Rio Declaration used the concept of sustainable development in its arguments in the case concerning Gabcikovo-Nagymaros project and revealed some normative elements of this concept. The decisions and judgements of the International Court of Justice and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea show a significant alignment in reference to the principles of sustainable development. Positive approach of these courts for the rights of future generations, while defending the interests of the current generation, shows that the status of the principles of sustainable development have been established in the case law of the two institutions.
5. Armstrong, D., et al (eds)(2009), Routledge Handbook of International Law , Routledge.
6. Cordonier Segger,M.C, Khalfan,A.(2004), Sustainable Development law: Principles, Practices, and Prospects ,Oxford University Press.
7. Faure, M.( 2016), Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law, Edward elgar publishing.
8. Fitzmaurice,Malgosia,Tamada,Dai(2016), Whaling in the Antarctic Significance and Implications of the ICJ Judgment , Brill.
9. Kiss,A., Shelton,D.(2007), Guide to International Environmental Law,Martinus Nijhoff .
10. Patel,Bimal N(2014), The World Court Reference Guide and Case-Law Digest,Brill Nijhoff.
11) Sands,Philippe (2003), Principles of International E$nvironmental Law,2nd ed ,Cambridge.
12. Schrijver Nico,Weiss Friedel(eds)(2004), International Law and Sustainable Development Principles and Practice, Martinus Nijhoff.
13. Schrijver,Nico(2008), The Evolution of Sustainable Development in International Law:Inception,Meaning and Status ,Hague Academy of International Law.
14. Tanaka,Yoshifumi(2012), The International Law of the Sea, cambridge.
15. World Commission on Environment and Development(1987), Our Common Future,Oxford University Press.
16. Beham,Markus P(2012), «Gabčíkovo-Nagymaros as a ‘Mox Dam’? Thoughts on a Possible Solution by the European Court of Justice» Austrian Review of International and European Law, Vol. 17, pp. 117-136.
17. Boyle,A. ,Harrison,J.(2013), «Judicial Settlement of International Environmental Disputes: Current Problems» Journal of international dispute settlement, 4(2), p 245-276.
18. Cordonier Segger,M.C(2009), «The Role of International Forums in the Advancement of Sustainable Development Law»,sustainable development law and policy,10(1),pp.4-18.
19. Marr,Simon(2000), «The Southerrn Blufin Tuna Cases: the Precautinary Approach and Conservation of Fish Resources»,EJIL,2000,vol11.No.4,p.829-843
20. Zhu,X., and He,J.(2012), «International Court of Justice’s Impact on Internationa Environmental Law Focusing on the Pulp Mills Case» , Yearbook of International Environmental Law, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 105-132.
21. Case concerning gabcíkovo-nagymaros project (Hungary/Slovakia), Judgment of 25 September 1997.
22. Case concerning gabcíkovo-nagymaros project, separate opinion of vice-president Weeramantry.
23. Case concerning pulp mills on the river uruguay (Argentina v.Uruguay),Judgment of 20 April 2010.
24. Case concerning pulp mills on the River Uruguay, separate opinion of judge Cançado Trindade.
25. Whaling in the Antarctic (Australia v. Japan : New zealand intervening),judgment 31 march 2014.
26. Decision of the Council of the International Seabed Authority requesting
an advisory opinion ,161th meeting,6 may 2010.
27. Responsibilities and obligations of States sponsoring persons and entities with respect to activities in the Area, advisory opinion of 1 february 2011.
28. Request for the prescription of provisional measures submitted by Australia,30 july 1999.
29. Southern bluefin tuna cases, (provisional measures),Order of 27 August 1999.
30. Fifth Report on the Principles ofInternational Law relating to Sustainable Development, ILA, Committee on the Legal Aspects of Sustainable Development, (London: ILA, 2002).
31. New Delhi Declaration Of Principles Of International Law Relating To Sustainable Development, ILA Resolution,3/2002.
32. Rio Declaration, United Nations "Conference on Environment and Development",1992.
.33. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change,4 June 1992
34. www. icj-cij.org/ last visited on:28/01/2017
35. www.itlos.org/ last visited on :20/01/2017